Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Long time coming!
Well it's been a long time since I've posted anything so I have a lot to fill everyone in on! The last time I posted we were on our way to Darwin in the Northern Territory. After the night we stopped at the christian radio station we stopped by Lake Argyle. It was one of the biggest lakes I've ever seen! There were rolling hills all around and the water was so clear. The temperature was starting to heat up and we stopped in for a refreshing dip in the lake. We spent the rest of the day driving and arrived in Katherine in W.A. that night. We slept in our traveling partner's camper but it was miserably hot! Our tires were wearing down so we had to buy a couple new tires to make sure we arrived safely in Darwin. On our way out of Katherine we found a really nice hot springs to take a dip in. We also stopped at another swimming hole called Edith Falls half-way to Darwin. We arrived in Darwin in the evening and met up with a few of Tom and Brooke's friends and had a few drinks. This was my first experience in Darwin and I enjoyed it, but it was so humid! This would only get worse when we got to Bali(the humidity that is)! That gets me to the next adventure... Bali! I can only describe it as Mexico times a thousand! It is cheap, has beautiful beaches, good waves, and a party atmosphere! We did some fun activities like whitewater rafting, a day cruise to a local island, surfing, and golfing. There was a group of 11 of us and the 8 others were all aussies. During the trip we met some really cool people from New Zealand, Sumatra, other parts of Indonesia, California, Perth, and Melbourne. Through our travels I hope we are able to meet up with them again. Our friends had spent a month there last year and had met two locals named Darwin and Chandra. They were extremely nice people and helped us out with everything we needed! The nightlife was also pretty exciting around Bali. The clubs wouldn't get going until 2 am and would sometimes go all night(but of course I never stayed out past 11 pm)! After you left the club you'd just hop on the back of a transport(a moped) and they would take you home for about $1. Everything else was cheap too! Most times you could get an appetizer, an entree, and a drink for around $4. Our last night there we had a beautiful sunset meal on the beach. You actually went and picked out the fresh seafood you wanted and they would cook it up for you however you liked. It was one of my favorite experiences and it was a perfect ending to an amazing trip! Since then, we've been living in Darwin and working... kinda! For the first 3 weeks we were staying in hostels and we recently moved into a 2 bedroom apartment. I sleep on the fold-out couch but it's still a better deal than the hostels. Our apartment isn't too fancy but it's nice. We have a large rap around balcony where we spend most of our nights hanging out on. From one side of the balcony you can even see the ocean which is pretty neat! On the job side I'm supposed to start working at a surf shop type place next week. I'm not sure how many hours I will get a week so I might have to start looking for other options. I'm hoping that I can find a pub around here that is going to have the osu/cu football game on. They don't watch football here so it might be a struggle. Either way... I'll be rooting for the pokes! With Thanksgiving coming up... us 3 Americans are trying to extend the tradition to Australia. We have started planning our meal and I hope we can all come together and celebrate the friendships we've made along our journey. It will be hard without our families but I know they'll be there in our thoughts and prayers. So I hope that everyone is well back home and have a happy thanksgiving!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sounds and looks wonderful! I wish I were you. The surf shop sounds better than the housekeeping in Broome. The game is tonight on ESPN. Meggie's last home game as a student! We'll let you know the outcome.
ReplyDelete